Nothing beats the frustration that comes with seeing a fish and struggling to lure it into a fishing backpack. You’ll find yourself nervously staring at the bag and then throwing a few glances at the fish almost simultaneously. The fish will eventually swim off before you figure out what to do. No one should have to deal with such a situation. Fortunately, those days are long gone thanks to the invention of fishing backpacks.
Fishing backpacks usually come in a range of sizes and shapes in different quality levels best suited for different anglers. They are so many in the market that’s why finding the best fishing backpack can sometimes be an uphill task. Don’t fret! We have done the legwork for you by comparing dozens against each other to make your shopping experience great and your fishing adventure even better.
Best Fishing Backpack
Here’s a round-up of some of the best fishing backpacks on the market:
1. Wild River CLC WT3604 Fishing Backpack
BUY ON AMAZON
Wild River CLC WT3604 Fishing Backpack is every angler’s dream since it has it all. This lightweight fishing backpack is uniquely designed with premium quality fabric to withstand the lifestyle of a fisherman. The stitching is equally great and guarantees long-lasting durability and endurance even under the harshest of conditions.
Wild River Fishing Backpack is specially made to comfortably hold up to four different medium sized lure boxes at the base. This allows the user to access the fishing tackle with ease especially from the outside. It’s ideal for finding your lure quickly and fast then carrying other options for your fishing adventure on the water. This fishing backpack additionally features plier holder, an integrated hydration pack holder, sunglasses holder and webbing that comes in handy for those who want to attach other accessories that they might need on the trip.
Wild River Fishing Backpack also comes with an integrated LED light mounted on the top part of the backpack on the outside. The LED light system come in handy when fishing under poor lighting conditions or at night. It additionally features a foldable front pocket that can create a perfect working space as opposed to using your limb, mouth or even rock when rigging something. Just lay down the bait or lure on the working surface then rig.
However, the Wild River backpack is not waterproof and this can be quite an inconvenience. Instead, it comes with a rain cover. The straps are a bit rough and the brand has a por customer service in case you find any faults with the backpack. Generally, it’s one of the best fishing backpacks for tackle fishermen but can be an overkill on your next fishing adventure. It weighs 7 pounds.
- Wild River CLC WT3604 Fishing Backpack is stylish
- This fishing backpack is big enough
- It’s super comfortable
- This fishing backpack tends to organize fishing tackles with ease
- It has a solid built for long-lasting durability and endurance
- It comes with an integrated LED light system mounted at the top of the backpack on the outside
- It features specialized pockets for holding your essentials for the trip including sun glasses, tackle box, rods and pliers
- It features a webbing ideal for accessory attachment
- Wild River CLC WT3604 Fishing Backpack has rough shoulder straps
- The brand has a poor customer service
2. Allen Gunnison Switch Pack – Convertible Backpack
BUY ON AMAZON
Allen Gunnison Switch Pack is not only convertible but also stylish with casual adventurer vibes. This fishing backpack is specially designed for fly fishers but is equally handy as a bait fishing bag or small pin fishing backpack. It’s relatively large the stitching and material used are robust. The best thing about this fishing backpack is that it can double up as a left or right sling pack to allow the user to choose the side it sits on in order to make casting easier.
Allen Gunnison Switch Pack features a main compartment that you can open from either side. Once you open the main compartment, you’ll see some vertical storage pockets that help organize the fishing tackle. The main compartment has zippers that run to the bottom of the backpack which makes finding and storing essential quite easy. It additionally features a waterproof pocket that helps keep things like cameras and phones secure.
The fishing back pack features mesh pockets on the outside for ease of access when holding items that you might need quickly. Some of the items that you can keep on the mesh pocket include a box of flies, a tippet, rod tube holders, water bottle carrier, adjustable straps to help lock the rain jacket or waders into and a small storage compartment. This fishing backpack is hydration ready; you only need to add the pouch.
This back pack is compatible with the brand’s chest vest in case you need more storage space. The only drawback is the bag is not waterproof and has no waist strap that helps support the weight of the bag when hiking. It weighs 2.5 pounds.
- Allen Gunnison Switch Pack is hydration ready
- It’s super comfortable
- The quality build guarantees increased durability and endurance
- This fishing backpack is pretty laid out
- The interior pockets are water-resistant
- Allen Gunnison Switch Pack comes with rain or wader jacket straps
- It features rod tube holders
- Allen Gunnison Switch Pack is not waterproof
- This fishing backpack doesn’t come with a waist strap to help support its weight
3. Piscifun Fishing Tackle Backpack
BUY ON AMAZON
Piscifun Fishing Tackle Backpack is one of the best fishing backpacks on the market. This fishing backpack is specially designed for bait or spin fishermen as oppose to the regular ones. It’s water-resistant, well made and features more than ten storage spaces to suit all your needs. It’s one of the easiest bags to organize the tackles. This fishing backpack additionally features 11 areas sealed with premium quality zippers that are equally adjustable as you can adjust to make 18 different storage areas.
The tackle backpack features main compartment that comfortably holds four different medium sized lure boxes. It also has a clapboard to allow users to split the storage space into two halves and have both lower and upper storage access from the front and top. What’s more, you can slide out the fishing tackle trays at the front for ease of access. The best thing about this fishing backpack is that it comes with a one-year warranty.
Piscifun Fishing Tackle Backpack additionally features a waterproof pocket, four different side pockets, a front pocket, hard shell glass holder and a rubber foot to help prevent water from sipping through the bottom of the bag. This fishing bag covers almost everything. This fishing bag is equally easy and comfortable to carry around thanks to the padded shoulder straps and breathable design. The only drawback is that some users find it a bit heavy even when its empty but that comes with the exquisite design. It weighs 7.8 pounds.
- Extremely comfortable and durable
- This fishing backpack offers value for money which makes it a worthwhile investment
- It features a hard pocket for the sunglasses
- Has a waterproof and water-resistant pocket for holding the phone and camera
- It comes with fishing tackle trays and ideal storage options
- The backpack is a little heavy
- The tackle boxes can only accommodate average size lures
4. Simms Freestone Ambidextrous Fishing Sling Backpack
BUY ON AMAZON
Simms Freestone Ambidextrous Fishing Sling Backpack is one of the best when it comes to fly fishing accessories on the market. This fishing sling backpack is well made ideal for a light fishing adventure. It’s also an excellent option for carrying your fishing gear and other essentials to allow you to move upriver with ease and fish in pools that others cannot access.
Simms Sling Backpack has a smaller capacity compared to its counterparts but that’s the idea. It features an adjustable sling to allow you to carry your essentials and gear on the left or right shoulder by simply switching on either side. This fishing backpack is equally water-resistant and has several handy pockets to help ensure your fishing gear and tackle are secure and easily accessible. This 18L fishing backpack weighs 1.5lbs.
Simms Freestone Backpack additionally features an integrated tippet holder, net holder, rod storage, wet fly storage area and webbing to help attach other accessories that you might need during the trip. This fishing backpack is an excellent choice for those looking for lightweight yet premium quality fishing backpack for long walks upriver. The only drawback is that the bag is relatively small and falls on the higher side of the pricing spectrum. However, it guarantees value for money owing to its long-lasting durability and endurance.
- The backpack is made with premium quality materials to provide long-lasting durability
- This fishing backpack is extremely comfortable
- It’s lightweight
- It is water-resistant
- This fishing backpack is ideal for fly fishing
- The pockets are easily accessible
- Some people find the backpack relatively small
- It falls on the higher side of the pricing spectrum
5. Spiderwire Fishing Tackle Backpack
BUY ON AMAZON
Spiderwire Fishing Tackle Backpack provides long-lasting durability since it’s made of 100% polyester material. It’s one of the best fishing backpacks for your fishing adventures. The best thing about this fishing backpack is that once you throw it on your back you can scrub against trees and rocks and it will not wear out. Impressive, right?
Spiderwire Fishing Backpack is perfectly sized as its neither small nor big. It features a main compartment that is split in three different parts and you can access them either the bottom part or top. The bottom storage area is uniquely designed to comfortably hold up to a maximum of three medium sized lure boxes. Plus, it comes with a free bag. The mid-section features a cooler compartment that helps keep your beverages and drinks cold for longer. The top storage area is ideal for storing small fishing accessories and other personal stuff.
Spiderwire makes it easy to keep your fishing gear organized, secure and safe. It features outside pockets, foam molder sunglasses case, rod and plier holders. This handy day fishing backpack is super comfortable to carry as it has thick comfy shoulder straps. What’s more, you won’t have to deal with backaches and shoulder pain that come with carrying heavy weights. This fishing backpack additionally features waist and chest straps to help support its weight and ensure even distribution.
Generally, this backpack is the best choice for bait or lure fishers. The only drawback is the bag is not waterproof. It also doesn’t have any rubber feet and neither does it come with a rain cover to help prevent water from seeping into the bag. The zippers are also not sturdy enough since they tend to fail when the bag is overly full. It weighs 4.6lbs. The best thing about this fishing bag is that it comes with a lifetime guarantee.
- Is incredibly comfortable and guarantees value for money since it’s made with high-quality materials
- It comes with a lifetime guarantee
- This fishing backpack is well made and spacious
- It features a cooling compartment where you can put your cold beer and beverages
- It’s flat at the bottom to maintain stability
- It features rod holders that work perfectly well
- Is not water-resistant
- The zippers are not sturdy enough as they tend to fail especially under pressure
6. FishPond Wind River Roll-Top Backpack
BUY ON AMAZON
FishPond Wind River Roll-Top Backpack is one of the best fishing backpacks on the market. The best thing about this fishing backpack is that it’s fully waterproof and submersible. This backpack is uniquely designed from 1680D TPU with a Cycle pond Fishpond fabric coating that is equally waterproof, durable and tough. It’s perfectly sized and comfortably holds up to a maximum of 38L of fishing gear and keeps them safe thanks to the waterproof fabric.
The backpack features a main compartment that is easily accessible from the top using the roll-down mechanism system. It additionally features a handy stash pocket for ease of access while the zippered pocket is used to hold other essentials. It has a zippered stretch mesh pocket on the outside for keeping quick access gear such as tippets and flies and other types of rod holders on the sides.
This fishing backpack is extremely comfortable to carry especially on long hikes since it comes with an adjustable belt, sternum straps and padded shoulder straps. What’s more, the padded shoulder straps are webbed to allow you to attach pliers, nippers and other essentials that you might need for the trip.
FishPond Wind River Roll-Top Backpack is ideal for bait or spin fishers and fly fishermen who don’t need a lot of gear. This fishing backpack will carry any essentials and keep them dry without compromising on comfort and durability. However, it has very few storage compartments which some users find inconvenient and it’s also pricey. It weighs 2.7lbs.
- Is fully waterproof and submersible
- It’s incredibly comfortable
- It’s well made
- This fishing backpack provides long-lasting durability
- It’s lightweight and spacious
- Falls on the higher side of the pricing spectrum
- This fishing backpack has very few pockets
7. Wild River CLC WT3606 Large Backpack
BUY ON AMAZON
Wild River CLC WT3606 Large Backpack is almost similar to the Wild River CLC WT3604 Fishing Backpack except it doesn’t have an LED light system at the top and a storage area for glasses. It’s perfectly sized as its neither big nor small and comfortably accommodate several gears. The storage area on the upper part features a removable divider to allow users to keep their tackle organized according to your personal specifications. The lower compartment holds four different medium sized lures that you can easily access from the bottom part of the backpack.
The backpack features a clear pocket on the inside that’s equally waterproof. The front pocket on the other hand will give you an ideal work surface that you can use to rig the baits and lures on. This fishing backpack also has four different zippered side pockets and accessory straps at the front to help store nippers, pliers and other essentials that you might need. this fishing backpack weighs 4.9lbs.
Wild River CLC WT3606 Large Backpack additionally features padded shoulder straps along with sternum straps for added comfort especially when carrying it around. This fishing backpack also comes with a base pad that’s equally waterproof to help prevent water from seeping through. This is a great fishing backpack for its price although it lacks a few features. The only drawback is that this fishing backpack has a narrow opening at the top which makes putting in and taking out bulky items a hassle.
- Makes organizing your gear quite easy
- It’s well made and offers good value
- This fishing backpack is large enough
- It comes with a waterproof base pad to help prevent water from seeping through
- It’s spacious
- Has a narrow top opening that makes getting items in and out a hassle
- This fishing backpack is not waterproof
8. FishPond Thunderhead Submersible Backpack
BUY ON AMAZON
FishPond Thunderhead Submersible Backpack is almost similar to the FishPond Wind River Roll-Top Backpack except it has a zipper and more accessory options. It’s made of 1680D TPU coated nylon with a TIZIP waterproof zipper to help prevent any leaks. Don’t worry about water seeping in since you can swim across rivers, flats and creeks with it and the bag will still remain dry. The main storage area is perfectly sized and will comfortably accommodate a substantial amount of gear.
The backpack features two pockets on the inner part. A clear stash pocket for keeping small things that you need to access quickly and a zippered one to keep your essentials. This fishing backpack has multiple points of attachment on the outside for accessories and straps to hold the rod tubes. It additionally features a waterproof pocket at the top.
FishPond Thunderhead Submersible Backpack is hands down the best fishing backpack on the market. It’s extremely comfortable as it comes with adjustable hip straps, sternum straps and shoulder straps. You can carry this fishing backpack comfortably on long hikes and even swim across a river without worrying about your gear getting wet. It weighs 2.88 pounds and is an ideal waterproof backpack.
- Is fully waterproof
- It’s well made and offers long-lasting durability and endurance
- This fishing backpack is lightweight
- It’s extremely comfortable
- Has few specialized pockets
- This fishing backpack is pricey
9. Shimano Blackmoon Fishing Backpack
BUY ON AMAZON
This review could not be complete without a Shimano product. Shimano Blackmoon Fishing Backpack just like other products from this brand has been uniquely designed and made to provide long-lasting durability. It features well placed pockets including a front loading compartment with four different utility boxes for the tackle, zippered side pockets, loops for accessories and two rod storage areas among others. This fishing backpack makes organizing the tackle easier for ease of access.
The best thing about the Shimano Blackmoon Fishing Backpack is the spool of line access mechanism. You can comfortably fit a line spool on the side pocket then run it out of the built-in hole. This typically means that you can pull any leader material from the tackle backpack seamlessly without tangles or opening anything.
Shimano Blackmoon Fishing Backpack is uniquely designed for long hikes thanks to the thick padded shoulder straps that provide enhanced comfort. Generally, it’s a solid fishing backpack. The only drawback is that some users find it slightly heavy and the lure boxes tend to stick on the sides quite easily.
- Is super comfortable
- This fishing backpack has an ample storage space
- It comes with tackle boxes
- Is heavy-duty for increased durability
- It’s easy to organize
- This fishing backpack comes with a rain cover
- Is heavy
- It’s not waterproof
- The tackle boxes tend to catch the sides easily
Factors to Consider When Looking for the Best Fishing Backpack
- Type – There are different types of fishing backpacks on the market. They are usually in two forms – a traditional backpack and sling pack. Both are easy to use and incredibly comfortable, so you can choose either depending on the amount of gear you intend to carry.
- Storage – This is usually a matter of personal preference as it depends with where you plan on fishing and the type of fisherman. For instance, you’ll need a bigger bag with several pockets if need lots of tackle. Bait or lure fishermen can go for compartmentalized backpacks.
- Water-Resistance – This is an important feature since fishing is typically an all-weather sport. Some backpacks are fully waterproof and submersible while others are water-resistant.
- Comfort – We all want a comfortable fishing backpack for a better experience. Always ensure the backpack is comfortable enough with everything secure and organized.