Which are the best fishing pliers to buy? Read our guide for the top recommendations.
All angling situations require a pliers. That’s why the best fishing pliers on the market are said to be those with particular angling endeavors and certain set of conditions. There’s a set of pliers to suit your needs whether you are planning to unhook small or big fish, cut a braided line, open split rings or crimp split shot. You’ll need to go for a specific component as well depending on your fishing method, where you fish and how rough you’re looking to be on the catch.
It’s quite unfortunate that some anglers don’t even know they are using the wrong set of pliers and they come to realize when it’s already too late. That’s why it’s always important to be conversant with the different types of pliers and which one is best suited to cater to your needs.
How to Buy the Best Fishing Pliers on the Market
Choosing the best fishing pliers on the market can be quite overwhelming considering the different range of sizes, designs and styles available on the market today. Most anglers are usually tempted to use general hardware models on the store.
Fortunately, thanks to advanced technology, getting hold of precise tools for the job is increasingly becoming easier by the day. Plus, they offer long-lasting durability and high performance in terms of productivity.
Here are some of the things you need to put into consideration when looking for the best fishing pliers on the market:
1. Fishing Conditions
What and where you fish are important elements when it comes to choosing the best fishing pliers as it helps you make an informed decision. If you plan on being on foot, you’ll need a set of pliers that you can fold and easily slide into your pockets or clip on the belt. If you’ll be using a boat, you might want a set of pliers with other different considerations in terms of accessibility and a floating one for klutz.
Fishing in salty water is usually the ultimate test when it comes to durability. You want a set of pliers that’s rust-free for a better fishing experience.
2. Fish Species
You need different tools to take on different fishing tackles. For instance, what you need for taking out a dry fly in size 16 from a mountain trout dainty mouth is quite different from that typically utilized for, say, billfish with a number of gradations. This is because the gear size varies and is also used for many different and distinct purposes. Ensure you get the right tool for the job.
3. Intended Purpose
You need a tool that helps you accomplish a specific task to the latter exemplarily whether you are looking for one to cut braided line, open split rings or crimpling wire. You can always go for a generalist tool design but this means that certain aspects will be compromised especially in terms of efficacy. You can also choose to dig deeper into your pockets to get the best on the market.
A multitool will come in handy for those who are not conversant with the tool they are looking for or its intended purpose. You don’t want to buy something that will not serve its purpose in the first place. This makes you more susceptible to injuries and you’ll be probably looking for a replacement a few days after use.
When looking for the best fishing pliers on the market, always look for those that fall within your budget range. What features does your tool of choice have and its qualities? Those who are prone to letting things rust or dropping them in water might need to get a new set every year if not at some point in the near future.
Best Fishing Pliers
1. Van Saal Titanium Pliers
AVAILABLE ON AMAZON
- Features: Tungsten Line Cutters (Replaceable)
- Sheath: Stylish leather sheath with a lanyard to provide security
- Length: Seven Inches
Van Saal Titanium Pliers is a precision tool that offers long-lasting durability owing to its corrosion resistant titanium construction. It’s one of the best titanium pliers on the market since it’s made with sturdy and premium quality materials that guarantee longevity. It’s equally lightweight for ease of carrying around.
- Van Saal Titanium Pliers is sturdy and lightweight
- It features a stylish sheath
- It comes with replaceable line cutters
- It falls on the higher side of the pricing spectrum, not ideal for those on a budget
Van Saal Titanium Pliers has no limitations. They are lightweight, high-quality tools with impressive features. The pliers have channel cut jaws to give you ultimate holding power. The ergonomic spring-loaded handles on the other hand, help keep the tool open when ready for any action. It not only keeps you safe but also ensures the quarry is secure.
The pliers additionally feature an anvil and replaceable tungsten line cutters with unique configurations to keep the line in position so that it gets snipped. The best thing about this set of pliers is that it gets better with time. It comes with a lanyard and stylish sheath that guarantees long-lasting durability that can serve generations to come.
2. Texas Tackle Split Ring Pliers
AVAILABLE ON AMAZON
- Features: Split ring jaws
- Sheath: Not specified
- Length: 4 to 5 inches
Texas Tackle Split Ring Pliers is one of the best fishing pliers on the market wit split ring-specific jaws. This tool is specially designed to slide new hooks on, blades and other different terminal tackle and open split rings. The best thing about this plier is that is completes the job perfectly well without any complications.
- Is easy to operate
- It’s relatively cheap
- It has an anti-slip grip
- Has limited functions
Texas Tackle Split Ring Pliers is your best bet if you have been struggling with missed hookups since you were unable to replace a treble hook or broken a nail in an attempt to swap out a hook. It’s a precision tool with the tiniest of openings and can be operated effortlessly with one hand. It additionally features an integrated spring that typically holds it open for as long as you want.
The surgical quality construction with stainless steel means that the pliers is rust proof and will neither disintegrate nor dull over time. You can carry them along in the tackle bag, boat as they’ll come in hand at some point in your fishing adventure. What’s more, they are available in a range of sizes to comfortably accommodate different types of split rings.
3. Bubba Fishing Pliers
AVAILABLE ON AMAZON
- Features: Leader sleeve crimps, split shot and carbide cutters
- Sheath: Sheath with a belt loop
- Length: 8.5, 7.5 and 6.5 inches all in piston grip and straight designs
Bubba Fishing Pliers is one of the best fishing pliers on the market. The brand has made a splash in the fishing industry recently and these premium quality pliers comes with plenty of impressive features. What’s more, this handy tool is relatively cheap. They are ergonomically designed and eco-friendly to save you the hassle of including a visit to the orthopedist.
- Bubba Fishing Pliers is ergonomically friendly
- These pliers are relatively cheap and have a number of impressive features
- Lanyard and sheath attachments helps keep the pliers securely in place to avoid losing or misplacing it
- Bubba Fishing Pliers is not as lightweight as its expensive counterparts
Your first impression of the Bubba Fishing Pliers will be regular but it packs lots of functionality to an affordable and durable package. The pliers are made of stainless steel, has a powerful and durable carbide cutter to handle the lines that need snipping with ease. Along with the different dedicated features that focus on crimping leaders and split-shots. It typically gives you a one stop shop when it comes to angling efficiency and excellence.
The pliers are additionally loaded with spring which makes it easy to operate with one hand. It also has a non-slip grip meaning that you can comfortably use one hand to hang onto the pliers. It additionally features a pistol grip design to give users an unobstructed and unique line of sight allowing anglers to clearly see the mouth of the fish when unhooking.
The pliers is available in a range of sizes in both pistol grip and straight handles which typically means that’s there’s a Bubba alternative to suit all your needs.
4. Rapala Elite Pliers
AVAILABLE ON AMAZON
- Features: A number of impressive features such as a crimpling tool
- Sheath: Carabiner, neoprene sheath and coil lanyard
- Length: 7 inches
Rapala Elite Pliers look high-tech and sharp just at the first glance and they literally live up to their initial appearance. This purpose-driven handy tool is relatively cheap, it grips precisely depending on the task at hand and cuts neatly and quickly.
- Rapala Elite Pliers comes with replaceable carbide cutters
- It’s resistant to any harsh elements
- It features interlocking teeth that usually provide a tight and flexible grip
- Rapala Elite Pliers don’t offer long-lasting durability like other titanium models
Rapala is a renowned brand that’s known to make high-quality tools and the Rapala Elite Pliers is no exception. These pliers are ergonomically designed packed with lots of impressive features such as a crimpling tool. Any possible point of failure is beefed up and oversized to help maintain integrity without compromising on its weight. It includes the Mag spring that’s magnetically actuated particularly designed to help keep it open for an extended period while the Mag Lock closes it when necessary.
Rapala Elite Pliers additionally feature super sharp carbide cutters that you can replace when they get dull. What’s more, the pliers are covered with a corrosion resistant coating with UV degradation to provide long-lasting durability even when used for the longest time.
Longevity is further extended with the inclusion of the sheath, carabiner and coil lanyard. This means that you can hold the fishing reels in your hands without worrying about dropping the pliers in your drink.
5. Gerber Line Driver Multitool
AVAILABLE ON AMAZON
- Features: Different line management handy tools including eyelet cleaning spike, serrated scissors and a hook threader
- Sheath: Not included, a provide tether point and pocket clip
- Length: 7 inches
Gerber Line Driver Multitool is the only multitool on the market that focuses on line management functions as it achieves other multiple functions perfectly well. This handy tool has it all whether you plan on using fluorocarbon, monofilament or braid.
- Has two different positions line cutter
- It’s lightweight thanks to the aluminium construction
- It’s currently the best fishing pliers on the market since its functionality is unparalleled
- Doesn’t work well when it comes to traditional functions of a regular pliers
Gerber Line Driver Multitool aims at line management functions. Everything about this handy tool is designed to make life easier for all anglers including cleaner knots and tying better. You can hang this unique tool from a retractor, clip to a D-ring, or even put it into your pockets for ease of access anytime you need to perform different tasks.
Gerber Line Driver Multitool additionally features serrated scissor blades that you can operate from two different positions – one is unlocked where you can place thicker lines to cut easily while the other is either locked or closed position. The latter allows the user to cut thinner lines with ease since the gap is slightly narrow.
However, cutting line is not the only thing the Gerber Line Driver Multitool can achieve. It features spikes that clear eyelets, a threading hooks system and a split-shot crimpling tool. The exquisite spinning hook vise makes knot typing simpler. This plier is lightweight and perfectly complements traditional pliers. The best thing about the Gerber Line Driver Multitool is that it comes with a lifetime warranty.
6. Leatherman Surge
AVAILABLE ON AMAZON
- Features: Comes with more than 20 different handy tools with a foldable design
- Sheath: Lanyard ring and nylon sheath in black
- Length: 4.5 inches
Leatherman Surge is one of the best fishing pliers on the market. It’s a multitool that offers long-lasting durability without compromising on functionality. The workhorse in the lineup offers it all in the package at a relatively cheaper price.
- The parts are replaceable
- It’s a one stop shop for all your needs for a fishing adventure
- The heavy-duty construction guarantees long-lasting durability and endurance
- Is expensive compared to other discount models
Leatherman Surge has everything you need for a better fishing experience since it has it all. There are tools that usually come in handy on water as they help make life easier such tools include pliers, full size knife blades and extra-large scissors. There are other extra features that the tools mentioned don’t usually offer like a ruler, wire strippers, saw, bottle opener, can opener, replaceable wire cutters among others.
You can open the Leatherman Surge with one hand. This handy tool offers long-lasting durability and the brand is so confident in it that it comes with a warranty for 25 years. You can make the package more functional by upgrading by simply adding a ratchet driver, driver extension and a bit kit.
Tackling the best fishing pliers on the market is not a breeze. This is because different anglers have different needs, budget and expectations which means you can’t find one tool that caters to all their needs. In addition, there are a number of things anglers should put into consideration when shopping for the best fishing pliers. This is also a determining factor that makes choosing the best pliers all the more difficult. We made the evaluation of the above tools basing on different factors including:
- Durability – Most anglers are usually rough when it comes to gear, whether they place them in the suitcase or on the tool holder of a speeding bass boat. In this case, you’ll need a handy tool that guarantees long-lasting durability and performs exceptionally well when it comes to functionality.
- Cost – The best fishing pliers should give you value for money. No one wants to spend money on a tool that will not perform when duty calls and does it perfectly well overtime. Always get a pliers within your budget and don’t hesitate to dig deeper into your pockets if you get one with impressive features to cater to all your needs, especially the one stop shop ones.
- Wide Ranging Utility vs. Specialization – You can compromise best-in-class service and go for a fishing pliers that can comfortably handle different tasks. Yu don’t want to carry along more than five tools for a long fishing adventure when you can get all that in one tool.
Professional anglers know that using the right gear and tools on the water not only makes life easier but also yields better results. What’s more, you’ll have a better fishing experience as the water will be more enjoyable and efficient. Get a set of pliers to cater to your needs putting all factors into consideration including the task at hand and the challenges.